I suggest you ...

XAML for Xamarin Forms to be consistent with WPF/UWP XAML so that we have one XAML standard

When Xamarin started Xamarin Forms, I am sure they didn't want to confuse Xaml developers with similar syntax they use in WPF/Silverlight/UWP and started renaming controls like TextBox in WPF/Silverlight/UWP to Entry in Xamarin Forms.

Now that Xamarin is part of Microsoft, we should stick to one standard XAML so that, we can use XAML designers like Blend or similar tools, to drag drop controls, attach behaviours and triggers visually.

Ideally, we design UWP app, and we get iOS and Android apps with no code change.

355 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Pooran Prasad RajannaPooran Prasad Rajanna shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DarthhwarriorDarthhwarrior commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I heavily agree on this, however not only the naming should be consistent but also the attributes/working of the controls and xaml should all be same as UWP, otherwise Xamarin Forms stays really ugly (It is really becoming a mess atm).

That way XAML behaviors could be possible and the Xamarin Forms could become part of an extending of the UWP platform like a real Universal Application Platform by making even common background platform code based on UWP making UWP a full UAP concept and even for all platforms.

• The WerewolfThe Werewolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. I agree entirely. Forms and WPF should slowly merge together - or better, Forms should slowly become 100% WPF compliant. The whole POINT of WPF is that it's no longer tied to Win32/GDI+ technologies. All controls are essentially hand drawn and operated under the hood using GPU acceleration.

It's completely crossplatform compatible - Microsoft AND Xamarin did it with WPF/everywhere or as we now call it "Silverlight".

The other missing leg on this chair is supporting macOS and Linux with Forms. I should be able to write a Forms application and it should work, perhaps with a little tweaking, on every platform... but at least the two biggest non-mobile platforms: Windows and macOS.. and when I say "Windows" I do not mean UWP (although I wish it worked better there too).

There is literally no reason this can't be done other than lack of will to do it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base