I suggest you ...

Allow use of Remoted iOS Simulator from ALL editions of Visual Studio

Until the latest release, where the iOS simulator on windows was renamed to Remoted iOS Simulator, it was possible to remote the iOS simulator to windows from any version of Visual Studio.

With the current release this has changed. Now a Visual Studio Enterprise Edition licence is required.

Clearly this is not a technical restriction as it was previously possible, so it must be a simple money grab, which goes completely against Microsoft's more open approach to feature availability from recent years.

For those of us who develop with neither direct, sole access to a Mac build machine, nor the offensively expensive Enterprise edition of VS, please change this back and allow use of the Remoted iOS simulator on windows from ALL editions of VS.

570 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark LawrenceMark Lawrence shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mark LawrenceMark Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, given that the newly released VS2017 also has this restriction, it's clear they don't intend to change it now.

It would have been nice to get some explanation as to why this is the case, but I guess we're just the fools who thought that maybe they actually used uservoice. It's clear that they do not.

• Mark LawrenceMark Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I get the distinct feeling that Microsoft/Xamarin don't actually USE uservoice - it seems it's just here to give us the false impression that they care what we think about their products.

• Brennan RobinsonBrennan Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on MS, just when we see you making strides towards the open source and actually being competitive in the mobile market, you throw this at us.. Like Steve Balmer said "Developers, developers, developers" make us happy, and you will have dominance, make us unhappy, and we will go to other platforms.

• PawełPaweł commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Keeps me from updating Xamarin. Dirty move you have no choice or notice that the xamarin simulator will be available only for enterprise when auto-update is on.

What about VS Pro ? Is simulator supposed to be only for IBM, Dell and other Fortune 500 companies ? What about small companies ? Keep them way behind the biggest companies ?

wtf microsoft, is that how you advertise mobile solution available for all developers ?

• RobRob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not a single comment from an official MS/Xamarin person. They purposely try to dodge this question because they know they are greedy (after they told us it would be FREE).
        It's funny how MS re-branded Xamarin as their mobile solution available to ALL developers, and now, out of the blue, they drop a bombshell like this one.
        In the game industry we call this move "pay to win", I guess here we can call it "pay to be more productive".
        what a shame, especially since they let everybody install it without any warning that the license requirement will change.

I really hate when companies play dirty games. Had they told us from pre-release that the simulator will require Enterprise, I wouldn't have installed it. However, removing it without any warning and THEN letting us know, is a very dirty move.

• JSJJSJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a nonsense that only VS Enterprise can use the iOS Simulator. Must be available to all editions of Visual Studio.

• Stanley BrooStanley Broo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

really disapointed. Will be carful in the future applying previews like this to my workflow, helping out to a stable release and then get kicked out. Guess I have to bring back the mac to my desk again. So silly and pointless, ...somebody is missing out on the whole agenda with Xamarin.

• Stanley BrooStanley Broo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just dont get it. Really disapointed...
        Will be careful in the future applying previews like this to my workflow and helping out to a stable release.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was a very sad day to find out that the remote simulator is available to only enterprise users. It will be very annoying for small teams that have one mac to share. Nobody got time for that!

• BradmBradm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, even if this was part of the Visual Studio Professional edition I could justify the cost, but now at $3,000/developer/year....

• Donald PedderDonald Pedder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> which goes completely against Microsoft's more open approach to feature availability from recent years

Yep. With Community available to people with teams of less than 5 (I have a team of one - me!), and BizSpark, Microsoft has been helping small start-ups... and now they are taking away tools from the small start-ups.

• XamarinftwXamarinftw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely ludicrous decision. The preview was free to use in community and then suddenly, as if by magic, I upgrade only to find it's gone, and only available for VS enterprise. Have you seen how much enterprise costs? I thought the whole point of this remote simulator was to encourage developers to use visual studio not force them back onto a mac? Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted that MS bought Xamarin and made the tools free. I appreciate these tools cost money to develop, but surely any minuscule profits MS make off the back of this are going to be far outweighed by the loss of goodwill.

• Jeremy HerbisonJeremy Herbison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The community helped you to test out the preview version, so it seems pretty shady to lock down the 1.0 release to enterprise customers only.

• BodmoorBodmoor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, otherwise you might as well stop developing the xamarin visual studio addin altogether.

• TimesliceTimeslice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The point is to make cross platform as smooth and seamless as possible. Restricting this feature to VS Enterprise only seems counter productive if Microsoft and Xamarin truly want to encourage developers to stick with the Microsoft environment. Guys - it obviously works under all VS editions based on the preview edition that wasn't restricted. You have introduced an unnecessary and highly irritating restriction for no justifiable reason that we have heard about. Either open it up to at least the VS Pro level or provide a valid reason why you can't provide a remote window for the simulator without VS Enterprise. For the vast majority of devs, we are NOT using enterprise, nor do we need to. Currently the feeling out in the dev community that this is some bizarre restriction imposed by a bean counter. Count me in the "Highly Irritated" list of users for an otherwise astounding and promising product IE: Xamarin and Visual studio.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base