I suggest you ...

Code formatting exactly like in Visual Studio

I am sharing code between Xamarin Studio and Visual Studio - I'd really like to have the same auto formatting in both IDEs.

Currently it's really hard (impossible?) to have the same settings in Xamarin Studio as in VS. So I can't turn on auto formatting in XS because the two IDEs would constantly reformat my code!

Could you please just copy the VS options so I can make both environments behave the same way?

353 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    chris shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Mikayla Hutchinson responded  · 

This is available in Xamarin Studio 6.0 (currently in alpha), which uses the same code formatter as Visual Studio.

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sothy Chan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. There should be a predefined setting that one can just import into Xamarin Studio to have auto formatting like Visual Studio. It can already look like it via theme, so hopefully it won't be too difficult to mimic the same code formatting.

• Andrew Witte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The biggest problem is you can't turn off formatting without turning off intellisense... This should be fixed.

• Dylan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The latest MonoDevelop version completely f-ed up the styling of code. No matter what options I set it completely messes up the formatting of brackets etc. I don't want to spend my time formatting code just so I can read it, the IDE should do it. If Visual Studio can do it properly the brains at MonoDevelop should be able to sort something out!

• Jonathan Pobst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am pretty sure that MonoDevelop supports all the formatting options from Visual Studio (plus a few more). The key would be to get the settings exactly the same.

If you know of any formatting options that VS has that MD does not, definitely let us know so we can look at those.

• Dylan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Xamarin should actually create a new product called M# (MonoSharper) and implement similar functionality to R# in MonoDevelop. I'm sure people would buy it.

• Chaitanya Marvici commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I personally use Resharper when in Visual Studio. If something like Resharper was available in Monodevelop that would be awesome to see.

Feedback and Knowledge Base