I suggest you ...

More affordable personal license

As a developer playing with mobile development on the side I'd really like to be able to deploy to my devices to make sure my app works before trying to submit it to the market.

$400 is a hard pill to swallow when there is $0 revenue from the apps. Something $100 or less I'd be willing to pay for if it did everything but submit to the market.

208 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John ClaytonJohn Clayton shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  XamarinAdminXamarin (Admin, Xamarin) responded  · 

Our new Starter Edition, which is available for free, allows developers to build small applications that can be deployed to devices and sold in app stores. It’s a great way to get started with Xamarin. We’ve also introduced a new Indie Edition that is available for only $299 per platform, per year.

For more details about the Starter Edition, please refer to our Xamarin 2.0 blog post: http://blog.xamarin.com/announcing-xamarin-2.0/

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adam RalphAdam Ralph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I'd like to see is the ability to deploy to at least one device with the free license. Emulators are good but they lack the real experience of a device, i.e. having the screen in your hand, with all the real gestures available. I feel that I need to play around with some toy apps on a real device before deciding that at least one of them is worth investing $399 in.

• Andrew WitteAndrew Witte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe this idea is just crazy, but you could create another licence type that lets people use MonoTouch, MonoDroid and X.Mac for free but Xamarin gets like 10-30% of the profits from app sales?!

Maybe you could do this by having people submit there apps under an Xamarin company and you just do the payouts minus your percentage. Then later if people want to submit apps under there own name they have to buy a paid licence type just like it is now. IDK might work in some form?

• ldsenowldsenow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, the current price for is a bit too high for a solo developer. If like Greg says, some thing $100, I think you can increase 10x sales.

• Greg EdwardsGreg Edwards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Considering your main competitors (VS, XCode, Eclipse) are all free, or have free versions, such a massive pricetag is hard to justify.

Feedback and Knowledge Base