How can we improve Xamarin?

Visual Studio support at the INDIE level

I would really like to develop apps with Xamarin using Visual Studio, but $999 per platform is a bit much for the small/micro business to swallow. I really wish you would consider implementing the Visual Studio integration at the INDIE level which would allow small businesses and startups a more affordable way to use your plugin with Visual Studio. Maybe name it INDIE/STARTUP instead.

2,789 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Alex W shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Mikayla Hutchinson responded  · 

Xamarin is now included at no additional cost in Visual Studio subscriptions and in Visual Studio Community.

137 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joe Fro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow! What a good time to get into Xamarin! Only had to wait a month for this! You guys are awesome! And you are OK too microsoft :)

• Altair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree with the comments. I have an Indy license and I cannot use it from VS although I could during the testing period....nosense!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another Indie developer who wants to get in on Xamarin's excellent product but I can't afford Business pricing just to get access to Visual Studio and I am not prepared to embark upon development using yet another substandard IDE. Shame, a positive experience at home would likely translate into me pushing for it at work. Then Xamarin would be making 3 x $299 for personal use and 3 x $999 from my employer instead of the $0 they will be getting now.

Please consider adding VS support to Indie or offering it at a SMALL additional cost ($5 - $10).

• Jason H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Xamarin may not like it, but you don't need the business license to develop with Xamarin Forms in Visual Studio. 90% of your code will be in a platform-agnostic PCL anyway (hello Resharper for $7/month!). You only need the business edition to launch your app. So fire up Visual Studio, unload the iOS and Droid projects, code away, and side-by-side have Xamarin Studio up with the platform-specific projects loaded and launch from there when needed. If you want iOS you'll need to be running VS from VMWare or (if you're brave) Parallels.

• Uldis Rāts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is a far too big fee for a micro company... I really hope that Microsoft will significantly reduce licence price (since they have bought Xamarin)

• Joe Fronsee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My thought process so far: I, a .NET developer found a way to develop apps using C# and visual studio! I have never learned xCode. This is amazing. Oh wait its $1,000 / year. No wait its way cheaper with Indie! Oh but now I dont get my Visual Studio... Come on Xamarin, dont screw this up!

• Leo Reading commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I understand correctly, the *free* starter edition now has VS support, but the *paid* Indie license does not? How does that make sense to ANYONE?

I just dont understand it. Indie license already includes the amazing Xamarin.Forms but excludes the IDE plugin!
        Is this the most expensive plugin for already free product (VS Comunity) ever?

Sadly, this request has been up for 3 years now, so looks like we are not getting it :(

+1 to VS integration on indie level! Or even better, a pricing model similar to Visual Studio Community / Unity - free unless you make a certain amount per year.

Microsoft please buy Xamarin, and integrate cross platform dev in VS! End of story!

• TS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is Xamarin actually reading or responding to these ideas? This one is the clear winner but it's several years old...

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When Microsoft has better pricing (free Community edition of VS) than you do, you should know something is wrong...

• Robert Howard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 to what everyone is saying. VS Integration for the Indie level. 999 a year is ridiculous for the single feature of VS.

Just graduated with computer science degree last sunday.
        learned how to write in xamarin for ios and android
        see $1000/year price tag
        can't use visual studio to be an independent developer

Xamarin is cannibalizing its own market by selling indi license cheap and making VS integration ungodly expensive for an individual.

lost all respect for xam team...
        sad day

• AR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a student first trying out Xamarin, I wanted to see what it would cost me after I graduate. $999 per year??? I can't afford that, and no way in hell am I going to devote my time learning this platform for something I can't afford after graduating!!!

• Darksworm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Get RemObjects' Tooling. $799 (Introductory Price, $999 normally) up front perpetual License with 1 year of Updates and Support, and likely a lower price per year after that (though the existing version will continue to function forever afterwards, so there's not absolute *need* to keep paying unless Apple/Google make some serious changes in iOS/Android at some point.

$799 [$999] now and forget about it >>> $999-2,000 every year.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Horrible, horrible, horrible!!! Just spent the last hour using Xamarin Studio with countless memory errors and crashes, but had to stop due to the incredible urge to shove a pencil though my eye. Would love to use their framework with Visual Studio, but it is clear they do not care about their customers.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base